Sunday 8 March 2009

Albinos as a hunted segment of society

From IPPmedia, Dar es Salaam
By Ley Mlelwa

n the middle of last month, on the 14th February to be precise, lawyer George Bakari reviewed the killings of albinos in the country, capping it with a crucial quote by German cleric Pastor Martin Niemoller.

The cleric, who lived between 1892 and 1984, remarked: "First they came for Jews, I did not speak out because I was not a Jew. They came for the communist, I did not speak out because I was not a communist.

They came for trade unionists, I did not speak out because I was not a communist. When they came for me, no one was left to speak out."

Pastor Niemoller pointed out that he thought that by not taking any measures when Hitler began torturing and killing people, he was safe; but he later ended up in detention camps.

Read full story.

No comments: