Sunday 28 May 2017

Why stigma? Fistula can be treated

From Daily News, Dar es Salaam
By MAUREEN ODUNGA

IT WAS all smiles as Sikujua Mabula (19) from Mwanza Region went through successful obstetric fistula surgery when aged 17 years which had posed threat to her normal labour delivery.

“For seven consecutive days, I experienced labour pangs, but still could not give birth. On the eighth day, I delivered a stillborn baby whose only head managed to come out,” she pointed out while evading eye contacts.

Mabula hinted that the pregnancy forced her to get married to the man who had impregnated her despite not being prepared to tie a knot with him.

“A few months after the marriage, my husband advised me to return to my parents because life was becoming uncompromising and return when things becomes normal. “Back home, I used to attend clinic where doctors told me that the baby was big and I would only give birth through caesarean surgery.

A few months to my delivery time, my mother-in-law advised me to return so that they would give me company,” she further narrated.





No comments: